March 17, 2020
Dear St. Bernard-Elmwood Place Parents/Guardians,
The events of the last few days have been a challenge to us all, as the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic has unfolded. We strongly urge all of you to follow the guidelines for self-care as outlined by the CDC and Hamilton County Board of Health. Frequent hand washing; avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth; and safe social distancing are the most effective measures we all can take to protect ourselves and our loved ones. In order to continue instruction and to provide for the needs of our students, here is our plan moving forward for the three-week extended spring break Ohio Gov. DeWine has mandated:
- Teachers are preparing instructional materials for students to use for the next three weeks. While some work may be available on-line sooner, all materials will be available on Thursday, March 19th.
- Hard copies of instructional materials will be available for pick-up on Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and as much instructional material as possible will be available online through Google Classroom. Please check the district website to determine if your child’s materials are available on-line or if you have materials to pick up.
- The hard copies will be distributed at SBEP High School for residents of St. Bernard and open-enrolled students, and hard copies will be distributed at Elmwood Place Elementary for students living in Elmwood Place.
- In order to support learning, teachers will be available Monday-Friday via email from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Teachers will include email contact information in the packets that students will pick up on Thursday. (Emails are also available on the district website.) For online learners, teachers can be contacted during these hours through Google Classroom.
- All work will be collected and evaluated upon our return to school on April 14th. (If this school year is put on leave for a further extension, work should be completed and maintained at home to be collected upon our return to school.)
- During this extended school closure, St. Bernard-Elmwood Place City Schools will continue to distribute meals to our students starting, Wednesday, March 25, from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM. Meal pick up will be outside the high school gym lobby for St. Bernard residents and open enrolled students and at the entrance of the Elmwood Place Elementary cafeteria for Elmwood Place residents. Five (5) days of meals will be distributed to students only (18 and younger) as long as meals are available with one meal packet per student. Please understand everything is subject to change and availability.
- If your student(s) has medication at school he or she needs over the extended spring break, a parent or legal guardian can pick the medication up on Tuesday, March 17th or Wednesday, March 18th between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- No medication will be released to a student.
- Our custodial staff will take an even more aggressive approach to clean and disinfect our buildings during this extended break.
- The district has purchased and will use a disinfectant germ fogger as part of our cleaning protocol for every classroom, office, restroom, and school bus.
As the situation changes, we will continue to update you through FinalForms emails, the district website, social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and through the parent list on remind.com. We also will be mailing home paper copies of updates as needed.
As always, we appreciate your support and flexibility during these unusual times. It is a testament to the strength of our families and community how we work together in challenging times. School offices will be open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to answer questions.
Mimi R. Webb, Ed.D.